Winding Ridge is a unique magnet school that offers students in grades five and six the opportunity to choose an Area of Focus, or Major in Related Arts. Families are encouraged to help their student select a yearlong Area of Focus that meets every other day. Students can be in Band, Orchestra, Media/Broadcasting, Visual Arts, Dance & Drama, or Music/Choir.
Students take a General Skill Area in Related Arts on the days that they are not in their Area of Focus. This course changes each quarter to give students an opportunity to explore each area. All first through fourth grade students take a Related Arts Class one day a week as they explore Dance and Drama, Music, Orchestra, Band, Visual Arts, and Library/Media/Technology.
All grade levels utilize a Core Curriculum based on Indiana State Standards, taught in all Lawrence Township Schools. The Readers and Writers Workshop approach is used in Language Arts, Balanced Math, Science, Social Studies, and Social Skills & Community Building.
Winding Ridge envisions development of inquisitive, expressive, and globally-linked young people who contribute to their school and local community. Through music and movement, students have the opportunity to learn about authentic expression of thoughts, ideas, and feelings in order to achieve life goals.
- Identified by Magnet Schools of America as a Magnet School of Distinction
- Winding Ridge prides itself on its family atmosphere and engagement, both internally and in the community
- The building is actively involved with groups such as Partnerships for Lawrence, Ronald McDonald House, Sparrow Club, Dayspring, the Humane Society of Indianapolis, and Coburn Place
- A building mentor develops relationships with students and makes personal time for those who need extra attention or encouragement
- The building has a strong Parent Faculty Organization (PFO) that provides multiple, monthly activities for students and families (Boys/Girls Night Out, Student vs. Staff Basketball, Holiday Fair, Movie Night, etc.)
- After-school activities support student involvement and include: tutoring, upper grade athletics, LADIES club, walking/fitness club, photography club, drumline,